Question about tobacco barns

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Not sure, but its standing right next to a graveyard, and the headstones are all dated fron late 1800's to the 1920's, so I'm guessing it's been hanging around for at least a century.

I'll make some time this week to get in it and take some pics.
That’s pretty cool….but the lumber and construction method used is the key. I hope you found a gem to be honest.

clovis67

6 pointer
Aug 16, 2008
All your 1” thick oak Reclaimed lumber is mainly used for flooring… you can determine the approximate age that the barn dates to by looking to see what kind of saw marks are on your boards.. if it has straight line saw marks.. it’s older than circle saw marks..

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
People who resell these old buildings, barns, log cabins will always tell you that they are worth money but these same people will take your building away but won't pay any money for them.

G
Not if you collect $ in advance. In fact, if it were me, I'd demand double in advance, with a refund upon completion of the job, including cleanup to my satisfaction.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Not if you collect $ in advance. In fact, if it were me, I'd demand double in advance, with a refund upon completion of the job, including cleanup to my satisfaction.
And that old barn will stay right where it was planted lol.
It just ain't the market that city folks think it is.
I burned mine to get it out of the way

Last edited:

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
my neighbor contacted serval companies that specialize in reclaiming lumber like that. Only 3 showed up. None were interested in taking his barn down for him. He’s a semi retired construction guy and traded with another neighbor with a larger track hoe to come down and push this old barn over so he could pick through it with his mid sized how. It was an extremely old barn. Hand hewn. Mortise and tenon with the pegs. 2” oak flooring in the stripping room. Not sure of the siding. Regardless, they pushed it over and he commenced to burning. Started with the siding. He ended up with “reclaimers” coming out of the wood work and bidding on everything once it was on the ground and his equipment was there to pick through it. The market just ain’t that good and finding a buyer is not easy.

Last edited:

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Ummm, I disagree. My in-laws had three that got damaged by tornado 4-5 years ago. They got paid very well for them, and the cleanup was outstanding. There are legit people out there that will take down an old barn.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Ummm, I disagree. My in-laws had three that got damaged by tornado 4-5 years ago. They got paid very well for them, and the cleanup was outstanding. There are legit people out there that will take down an old barn.
Well up here in hipster-ville the market ain’t that great and you would think it would be. Your in laws should consider themselves lucky. Hgtv is not realistic.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Well up here in hipster-ville the market ain’t that great and you would think it would be. Your in laws should consider themselves lucky. Hgtv is not realistic.
They had three different people interested. Took the highest bidder. Got almost $2k per barn. One was 100 years old, the other two were 50-60. Two were tobacco barns, made of oak. The third was a livestock barn.

Stone Branch

10 pointer
Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY

Your inlaws got 6g for 3 barns, I'm not saying that it can't happen, it is just not how it normally happens. Buyers will take the buildings for cleanup cost.

A guy who will sell you an old cabin for 60g told me my log cabin was valuable but was not interested when I told him that I will do the cleanup myself.

Same thing in Michigan on a really nice 30x40 hay barn.

In actuality the guy who bought one of the barns for 2g could recover that expense easily just on the siding but it is a lot of work pulling nails by hand and power washing every board.

I saw at least a half dozen big old barns in Michigan get pushed into a big hole and burned.

G

Stone Branch

10 pointer
Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY
I had two men express amazement at the value of the chestnut logs in my tobacco barn that wanted them. I said each time make me an offer, 3 years + and still no offers.

G

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Your inlaws got 6g for 3 barns, I'm not saying that it can't happen, it is just not how it normally happens. Buyers will take the buildings for cleanup cost.

A guy who will sell you an old cabin for 60g told me my log cabin was valuable but was not interested when I told him that I will do the cleanup myself.

Same thing in Michigan on a really nice 30x40 hay barn.

In actuality the guy who bought one of the barns for 2g could recover that expense easily just on the siding but it is a lot of work pulling nails by hand and power washing every board.

I saw at least a half dozen big old barns in Michigan get pushed into a big hole and burned.

G
They were partially down from tornado. Don’t know if that made a difference or not. My buddy Joe has one now that is 50 years old. It’s in Logan county. Had one offer of $500 from a guy in Cave City. Said he normally pays more but that’s a long haul for him.

Latest posts