Range finder ever cause you to miss a deer??????

bluedog69

Spike
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
SinceTackett and Wyatt entered the world of 3D archery shooting this summer we discovered that range finders aren’t all the same. I figured that 50 yards and under they would all be pretty accurate. At the state championship this year Tackett’s $99 range finder read a target at 33 yards. He about missed high. The girl in our group ranged it at 26. She nailed it. Dark target in a dark timber on a rainy morning. Sound like hunting conditions????
We just invested in a new range finder. They claim it to be accurate to within .3 of a yard out to 150 yards. So far so good!!!! This thing has been amazing!!!

Mt Pokt

8 pointer
Nov 8, 2018
Campbell County
My first range finder didn't have compensation for angle/elevation. I had no idea that was important for archery.

I mean, coming from guesswork to a range finder should have improve my shooting, right?

After that little physics lesson I bought one with compensation and it's dead nuts accurate.

That may not have been the issue with your first one, but straight line ranging and "arrow flight versus gravity" ranging is different.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
User error once.
I had dad ranging an elk for me, he had the damn thing backwards. I guessed 50 and shot low(missed), after it ran off i had dad stand in the elk tracks and ranged him at 62.

ancienthunter

8 pointer
Dec 25, 2011
Over the Hill
SinceTackett and Wyatt entered the world of 3D archery shooting this summer we discovered that range finders aren’t all the same. I figured that 50 yards and under they would all be pretty accurate. At the state championship this year Tackett’s $99 range finder read a target at 33 yards. He about missed high. The girl in our group ranged it at 26. She nailed it. Dark target in a dark timber on a rainy morning. Sound like hunting conditions????
We just invested in a new range finder. They claim it to be accurate to within .3 of a yard out to 150 yards. So far so good!!!! This thing has been amazing!!!
no but I got back into shooting 3D after being off a few years and started shooting ASA known yardage, I had a couple of older bushnell with angle compensation and the 2nd day it started off foggy and my rangefinder either wouldn’t range dark targets or would be about 5 yards hot, fortunately one of the group had a Leupold that worked perfectly so now I own a leupold 1600i.

Snareman2

12 pointer
Feb 25, 2007
I’ve had a Leupold RX-650 for years, it has helped me be more accurate and confident. I just bought a Leupold RX-1400i last month. Looking forward to many years with it too.

I use the rangefinder mainly for archery for deer, but I also use it during turkey season and Sandhill Cranes, those birds are so big, at first, they are hard to judge how far. Rangefinders are great.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I have a new model bushnell engage 1700. My cheap Sig Sauer is more accurate at close range. The Bushnell seems to really drop the ball on more reflective IE wet surfaces. They are both within 3 yards, typically. Better than I can guess, always or shoot, half the time.

Before I figured out the angle compensation I got hair and no blood on a deer first arrow flung on public ground. I felt like a fool when I figured it out. If the range finder says 35 and your shooting straight down a bluff, still hold the 20.

bluedog69

Spike
Dec 16, 2003
Stanberry, MO, USA.
A range finder is always more accurate than my guess....so no.
This is what I thought also. But when we got into 3D we found out that my boys were shooting higher scores in unknown classes. Then at state competition comparing range finders on a very humid rainy day we found out we were getting things like 33 yards when it should have been 26.
Use a 30 pin high and the deer drops and it was really 26…..clean miss.