Red River Gorge

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
Took a day off work and farming today to drive over to the Red River Gorge with my wife. We had lunch in Lexington, then we drove to Campton on the Mountain Parkway, then headed north on 15 to 715 and drove 715 around the park and through the Nada tunnel to Slade.

It was a dead solid perfect day....Beautiful blue skies and the leaves couldn't have been prettier.

It had been over 30 years since I was in the Gorge and I guess I had forgotten how pretty it is. There were very few people on the road today....we were able to pull off anywhere we wanted to as we drove the narrow road through/around the gorge.

If you haven't been there in a while and you are looking for a nice place to see the fall colors, this is a good place to go.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Took a day off work and farming today to drive over to the Red River Gorge with my wife. We had lunch in Lexington, then we drove to Campton on the Mountain Parkway, then headed north on 15 to 715 and drove 715 around the park and through the Nada tunnel to Slade.

It was a dead solid perfect day....Beautiful blue skies and the leaves couldn't have been prettier.

It had been over 30 years since I was in the Gorge and I guess I had forgotten how pretty it is. There were very few people on the road today....we were able to pull off anywhere we wanted to as we drove the narrow road through/around the gorge.

If you haven't been there in a while and you are looking for a nice place to see the fall colors, this is a good place to go.
If you got any pics to share post them up! Haven’t been in nearly 20 years.

web splitter

8 pointer
Feb 3, 2015
I've spent many nights there and burned hundreds of miles hiking. Best week of the year for fall colors. I'm sure the climbers are out if full force with the nice daytime temps.

timer

12 pointer
Feb 20, 2013
La Grange
If you got any pics to share post them up! Haven’t been in nearly 20 years.

I've never been able to figure out how. One of these days I'm gonna have my son (engineer/computer geek) show me how to post. We got some really pretty photos.

We were thinking about going to Gatlinburg, but this turned out to be better. Prettier than than the Smoky mountains (yes, I'm biased) and less crowded. Plus we got to eat in Lexington (we lived there for the first 9 years after we were married) and it was a shorter drive.

Mt Pokt

8 pointer
Nov 8, 2018
Campbell County
Gorge is awesome! Been going there a couple of times a year for about 25 years.
Hiked all over the place. There are a couple of books you can get that give directions to many of the lesser known trails. Great place to get away to.
This summer we took the jeep and ran some of the old historic county roads. Supposedly any 4wd can drive them, but don't belelieve that. There were some sketchy sections that I was a little concerned about, and my jeep is more capable than most.

https://www.ridethedbbb.org/about