Run 'N' Gun Set Up

6 point 92

6 pointer
Nov 13, 2012
Running and gunning is usually associated with turkeys. But it seems it is becoming more popular with deer hunting. Last year I bought an XOP hang on paired with 4 Hawk helium sticks. Worked pretty good on a public land quota, and on a few private land hunts. What is everyone else using on these types of hunts? Hang ons, climbers, or saddles?

257Wmag

6 pointer
Oct 7, 2015
NC
XOP and 4 small hawk helium sticks, one with an aider. Still don’t truely run and gun but am much more mobile.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Running and gunning is usually associated with turkeys. But it seems it is becoming more popular with deer hunting. Last year I bought an XOP hang on paired with 4 Hawk helium sticks. Worked pretty good on a public land quota, and on a few private land hunts. What is everyone else using on these types of hunts? Hang ons, climbers, or saddles?
Never heard of run n gun deer hunting. Something you saw on a TV show?

6 point 92

6 pointer
Nov 13, 2012
Never heard of run n gun deer hunting. Something you saw on a TV shI

Never heard of run n gun deer hunting. Something you saw on a TV show?
Im not much on the new hunting shows, I like the older ones, all but one. "The Hunting Public" seems to be legit maybe. They use a Run n gun tactic on public land. "Mobile" is a better term I guess. They see sign or pattern a deer. Then set up to try and get a bow shot. For deer, its not really a one day event lol.

HeadedWest

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2016
This style of hunting is entertaining to watch and I’m sure it could work well around KY but sounds like pure chaos if it was to be mainstream (which I think it will).

The orange army will have nothing on the bow hunt brigade.

Cole505

Spike
Sep 6, 2016
Started with 4 XOP sticks and their air raid stand. Works good but it got old after a couple seasons. I got sick of hanging it and tearing down. So now that’s a permanent stand.
I switched to a tetherd phantom saddle a couple years ago and that thing is the shit. So comfortable. I use my same sticks paired with that. Ultimately I figured out I hate carrying the sticks the most as there is not a great way to transport them. Ended up buying a lone wolf climber last year and I’ll never go back. It’s the best thing I’ve bought for hunting maybe ever. They thought of everything, it’s worth every penny. It’s more comfortable than my seat in the F150 without question.
I kinda have a hybrid approach, lot of set stands on our farm but I’ve used the climber there as well. On public it’s the climber. Saddle works best for places without straight trees ( select cut areas)

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I use a Millenium tree seat. Run and ground hunt with a bow.

I don’t need to be in the air 2 miles from the nearest ambulance access if I fall to kill critters.

Mountain Man4life

6 pointer
Oct 5, 2020
Hills
I saddle hunt. I’ve always hunted out of my trusty summit until the last few years. With saddle hunting I can climb any tree in the woods. Forked, limbs everywhere and even crooked trees. With my summit I was limited to straight limbless trees. To each their own tho. Some will throw off on saddle hunting and some will love it. It’s just another tool in the box in my opinion. I have ladder stands, hang on and of course my summit. Just because you try something new doesn’t mean you have to neglect the other systems