Run 'N' Gun Set Up

6 point 92

6 pointer
Nov 13, 2012
This style of hunting is entertaining to watch and I’m sure it could work well around KY but sounds like pure chaos if it was to be mainstream (which I think it will).

The orange army will have nothing on the bow hunt brigade.
I honestly think you may be correct. It is fun. I would never recommend this on a busy WMA. Private property I think works good.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I would think “run n gun” for deer would be more like still hunting or spot and stalk. Not climbing but I guess it’s all about interpretation.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
I think the run n gun name is a little misleading but I’ve heard it being used a lot the past couple years. Mobile hunting is a better term, but basically just that you just follow active sign and setup on it instead of sitting a stand in a good spot and hunting it consistently. I’ve done more mobile hunting over past few years as I got a saddle and hawk heliums. I started hunting public and wanted a setup I could carry in and out with me and had gotten frustrated carrying my climber in and then not finding a straight no limb tree in the area I wanted to setup. But I will say if I know where I’m going and there’s a good candidate for my climber I will take it instead.

WaterDog88

12 pointer
Jul 28, 2008
Kentucky
If you want light weight and mobile a ghillie suit is where it’s at. Got within a few feet of several last year. Almost had a spike run me over. I only wear a jacket and hat not a full suit. It might weigh 3 pounds total??

GeoFish

Fawn
Sep 18, 2021
Jamestown Ky
I mobile hunt public with a saddle. It can be anything you want. I have pre scouted spots. Pick one based on wind. Go in climb to 21 feet with 3 lbs of gear. Platform is about 4 lbs, sadder is less then a safety harness. Total weight about 1/3 of a climber. That's why I have two LW climbers in the clasifieds.

Feb 8, 2022
Taylor, MI
Mobile hunting is the best way to describe it. The equipment available in the last few years have made it easier for guys on public. Also utilizing my setup for my out of state hunt in Kentucky this year where I can't have preset stands. I don't know that anything can beat my experiences in a ghillie suit but "typically" odd go up when in a tree. My saddle makes that possible. Can fit my whole system in my backpack. I use wild edge steps and spliced amsteel loops for them to center my aider on. 3 steps and I'm around 18-20 feet.

Attachments

• 21846.jpeg
    21846.jpeg
    384.1 KB · Views: 32

CRFmxracer

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2010
louisville kentucky
Started with 4 XOP sticks and their air raid stand. Works good but it got old after a couple seasons. I got sick of hanging it and tearing down. So now that’s a permanent stand.
I switched to a tetherd phantom saddle a couple years ago and that thing is the shit. So comfortable. I use my same sticks paired with that. Ultimately I figured out I hate carrying the sticks the most as there is not a great way to transport them. Ended up buying a lone wolf climber last year and I’ll never go back. It’s the best thing I’ve bought for hunting maybe ever. They thought of everything, it’s worth every penny. It’s more comfortable than my seat in the F150 without question.
I kinda have a hybrid approach, lot of set stands on our farm but I’ve used the climber there as well. On public it’s the climber. Saddle works best for places without straight trees ( select cut areas)
Which lone wolf

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
If you want light weight and mobile a ghillie suit is where it’s at. Got within a few feet of several last year. Almost had a spike run me over. I only wear a jacket and hat not a full suit. It might weigh 3 pounds total??
Ghillie poncho is what I’ve been using. My dad always hunted in an Old Mexico style wool poncho when I was a kid, used his then too. I have two of these spring and fall colors.
436CC412-5480-42E6-8684-124A37E648F8.jpg

Ive been known to throw one over my work uniform and kill coyotes in summer.

Dan99

6 pointer
Oct 11, 2015
I honestly think you may be correct. It is fun. I would never recommend this on a busy WMA. Private property I think works good.
How do you guys hunt on public land? Just go to the same few spots over and over?

I’ve always mobile hunted public land and had success. I assume most other folks were doing the same.

cedar creek

10 pointer
Sep 7, 2014
We call that riding around on a 4 wheeler and shooting them. Not my style but works good on big tracks of land