Savanah Georgia?

KYTroutJunkie

6 pointer
Mar 26, 2014
Whitley County
Has anyone been crabbing or fishing in Georgia? Planning to vacation around Tybee Island around early July. Plan to do some crabbing, flounder and shark fishing from shore. I hear the fishing on the jetties at either end of the beach is good. Has anyone done this, any tips or success?

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
We had a short vacation there several years ago...was pretty nice.

We stayed in Savanna and really didn't have time to fish with the things my bunch was wanting to do. Ultimately spent about a day around Tybee Island and the beach . They have a nice pier there a lots of people fishing . Remember seeing a few small sharks caught from there just in the short time I was on the pier .

Also for just something fun that we did as a family..... the offered dolphin tours from the marina . We boarded a pontoon and stayed on the inland water ways. Saw a bunch of dolphins but overall just a relaxing time on the water . Hopefully their still doing that as it's been a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UK Hunter

6 pointer
Dec 15, 2009
Adair County
We've been to Tybee 3 different times and there's always plenty fish caught from the pier. Biggest I've seen was a four foot lemon shark. Also saw a guy last year catch a nice sized shark from the shore but he didn't have any way to measure it. The pier is crowded late afternoon and night so if you plan on fishing from it, plan on getting there early cause there's usually people waiting for an open spot. I also recommend the kayaks. There are some dolphin tours but even my kids didn't enjoy them. If you have kids you may want to check this out: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Tybee-Beach-Ecology-Trips/124893714206623. This trips are led by A marine biologist/Scientist and well worth it. Hope this helps.

KYTroutJunkie

6 pointer
Mar 26, 2014
Whitley County
We plan to go the kayak route, I guess you are not allowed to intentionally shark fish from shore, so in the kayaks we can do some of that. But we mainly want to do some crabbing. Has anyone seen crab being caught? Where at? What methods?

WETWADERS

6 pointer
Nov 21, 2006
W of Ashland, E of Murray
Back in the bays and creeks, bonnethead sharks are a blast in the summer and are fine eating. You'll see them cruising the banks. 3-4 foot is about average. For crabs, any water away from waves is good. Put any meat on a 20' string, throw it out and slowly bring it back to you. Be ready, with what amounts to a butterfly net, as they follow the meat. Or make/buy a crab trap and throw it in a quiet spot that stays submerged during low tide. Just watch for treehuggers that do the "Free Willy" thing and turn them loose.

Latest posts