Sharks

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
So, when you go to the beach, do you venture into the water? I've not been in 12 years, but the last two times, I didn't get in over my waist. Probably wouldn't get over knees now. Watching these shows the last few weeks got me thinking a bit. If you survived a shark attack, would you go back in the water? No way in hell I'd ever get in again.

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
I can't go past waist deep from seaweed scaring the shit out of me. That one incident ruined me for life. Just feet away when I saw it out of the corner of my eye and I immediately accepted I was shark food.

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
When we went to PCB in early June I went out to the 3rd sand bar. Roughly 100-125yrds out. The water in between the the 2nd and 3rd sandbar was just over my head and I could only touch bottom as the next wave swelled. Once I reached the bar, the water was only knee deep. Probably not the smartest thing I ever did. Lol

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
When we went to PCB in early June I went out to the 3rd sand bar. Roughly 100-125yrds out. The water in between the the 2nd and 3rd sandbar was just over my head and I could only touch bottom as the next wave swelled. Once I reached the bar, the water was only knee deep. Probably not the smartest thing I ever did. Lol
I did that everyday, every time I went until I was mid 40's. Summer of '81, me and my GF's brother bought snorkel gear and swam the erosion barriers at Sanibel/Captiva all day, everyday, getting Conch shells and selling them. Getting $10 a pop, and had people waiting on the beach. I pulled up over on barrier in about 10' of water to go down the other side to pull a shell out. I came face to face with a 6 footish shark. Scared the begeezus out of me. Eric and I made over $400 each that week. There are still 3 of those shells at mom and dad's I brought back for mom.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
I did that everyday, every time I went until I was mid 40's. Summer of '81, me and my GF's brother bought snorkel gear and swam the erosion barriers at Sanibel/Captiva all day, everyday, getting Conch shells and selling them. Getting $10 a pop, and had people waiting on the beach. I pulled up over on barrier in about 10' of water to go down the other side to pull a shell out. I came face to face with a 6 footish shark. Scared the begeezus out of me. Eric and I made over $400 each that week. There are still 3 of those shells at mom and dad's I brought back for mom.
We were getting $5 each for those walnut sized periwinkle shells too. As fast as we could find them.

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
Glasgow,Ky
I didn’t think about it on my way out. Didn’t really realize how far out I was getting. When I started back and realized how deep and dark the shadows of that water was out there and what might possibly in it…. I was nervous as hell on my way back in.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
As I post often, we spend a lot of time in SWFL. Several years ago we were in Naples and came upon a crowd of people while walking the beach at sunset. They were yelling at these idiots in the water beyond like 6 sharks swimming in the shallows. They were probably all trashed but they were laughing and saying stupid stuff like, “They won’t bite ya in the shallows!” I’m convinced you could cut the shark attacks in half it it weren’t for stupidity.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
You can hide a pretty big shark in waist deep water. I’ve caught six foot long black tips in the gulf while people were swimming within 30-40 yards. Creeps me the hell out.
You ain’t wrong. I like that warm gulf water but there’s plenty there that will kill you.