Sharks

bird whisperer

12 pointer
Aug 16, 2012
Hog Town USA
I try not to worry about it myself. When I saltwater shore fish I wade out around armpit deep and cast. Wade back to beach free-spool. Real up the slack and sometimes catch a small shark unhook release it, rebait the hook and repeat the process.
Last time woman walked up to my wife and asked if I was causing the sharks to be there, she explained he’s just fishing and thats whats biting.

I love to snorkel and dont hesitate to go way out. A rip tide worries me way more than becoming a meal.

Now as inviting as it may be to get off the boat offshore in the blue water of the gulf I refuse to. We have brought to many large sharks up to the boat on the hook.
As hard as it is to bring a big red snapper or grouper up and not have a shark take it. No way I will get out of the boat anywhere near underwater structure.
Largest shark we have had at the back of the boat was a hammerhead at the first buoy out of the Panama City Beach cut. Head was wider that outside edge to outside edge of both motors while fishing for Spanish mackerel.

Capttrae

12 pointer
Apr 2, 2012
Sitting on the beach, under an umbrella, with a cooler full of beer, nothing to do but chill, tunes, beach games, and drink. Love it.
Negative. Hot, sandy, and salty. I’ll pass. I love the sea and being on her as much or more than anybody. But Sittin at the beach sweating my rear off with a bunch of ppl around no not happening. I’ll take my little duck boat over to the island and find a spot where nobody is and spend a day. But that public beach and crowds of people just ain’t my thing

Capttrae

12 pointer
Apr 2, 2012
Previously I'd be too drunk to give a sheet. Since I quit drinking, I'm a little bit skittish when something touches my leg but I still venture out.
Went shark fishing Wednesday. Had 3 runs but didn't catch a damn thing and all the captain talked about was his ex wife. Biggest waste of money in my life. Had 3 fishing trips booked. First was great, caught snapper, snook and redfish. Shark trip was a waste and the one today was cancelled.
Shark trips as a whole suck. Easy money but boring and the tourist get bored easily. They think they are going to catch jaws when in reality if they catch one it’s a good night.

KY_Fried

12 pointer
Nov 13, 2003
Foster, KY, USA.
Doesn't worry me in the slightest. When you think of the millions and millions of people that go in ocean every year and there's what? maybe 4-5 fatal attacks every year in the US if that? You have a much better chance of getting struck by lightning on a sunny day. Now you'll never see me underwater holding a dead fish while dozens of sharks are swarming around me in a feeding frenzy. That's just asking for it, but as for just going for a swim...no worries.

Last edited:

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
So, when you go to the beach, do you venture into the water? I've not been in 12 years, but the last two times, I didn't get in over my waist. Probably wouldn't get over knees now. Watching these shows the last few weeks got me thinking a bit. If you survived a shark attack, would you go back in the water? No way in hell I'd ever get in again.

Lol... might as well not get into the water at all, if you are that worried, because they come in much closer than just waist deep.

Brody

10 pointer
Apr 7, 2019
No place like home
Me and the 3rd wife was up in a big cove on Cumberland skinny dipping off the boat late one afternoon, when below me something big made a huge swirl in the water right underneath me. Scared crap out me and back on the boat I went an put my britches back on.lol!

RLWEBB

12 pointer
Nov 30, 2005
Staffordsville, KY
I love the beach and love going with my wife. I’m not a drinker so I’ll go with water in the cooler under the umbrella instead of beer. I’d love to get in the shark cage with the Great Whites. Australia, South Africa, Mexico. Wouldn’t really matter. They are fascinating fish.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
The first time I went offshore fishing. The guide took me to a sunken ship. There were idiots diving at the far end. Sharks and barracuda were everywhere. My first “big” off shore fish was a big barracuda on lightweight. It was awesome. But again, like the the drunk swimmers I mentioned earlier, divers in the middle of cuda and sharks. Just doesn’t seem like the best choice.

OLE RASPY

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2018
Barren county
I’m not to worried bout sharks. I’ll go out chest deep. Piss a little. Lol. I like going to the beach but I hate driving there anymore. I like it best when it’s just me and the wife (sorry kids) lol. We usually fly. But I’ll be honest. I’m tired of going every year. Guess this year may be the first year in a long time we ain’t went. I don’t guess we’re goin. Hell idk. Wife may come up next week and say we goin to beach. Lol. But anyway I’m tired of goin all time at this point in my life. Just like gatlinburg. I refuse to go there anymore. My wife and kids and mother in law went here while back. I stayed at home.
I wanna do a Yellowstone trip next year.

HeadedWest

10 pointer
Nov 22, 2016
Got to have good fishing or good waves…a beach with nothing to do sounds miserable.

Sharks don’t bother me enough to stay out of the water but I’ve thought a lot more about them since having kids.

cedar ridge

6 pointer
Dec 3, 2015
South Central KY
I’m not to worried bout sharks. I’ll go out chest deep. Piss a little. Lol. I like going to the beach but I hate driving there anymore. I like it best when it’s just me and the wife (sorry kids) lol. We usually fly. But I’ll be honest. I’m tired of going every year. Guess this year may be the first year in a long time we ain’t went. I don’t guess we’re goin. Hell idk. Wife may come up next week and say we goin to beach. Lol. But anyway I’m tired of goin all time at this point in my life. Just like gatlinburg. I refuse to go there anymore. My wife and kids and mother in law went here while back. I stayed at home.
I wanna do a Yellowstone trip next year.

Same on the beach and Gatlinburg. We did do Yellowstone and Grand Tetons the week before Memorial Day 2021 and it’s hands down the best trip we’ve ever done. Highly recommend!