So Why the 30-06?

shaman

10 pointer
This relates back to the Deer Rifle Poll thread.

My question for you guys: Why do you think 30-06 ends up being so popular? I picked it as top of the heap myself. Everyone at our deer camp, the entire Shamanic Dream Team, shoots 30-06. The reason is that two of the members are my sons, and are still shooting the rifles I gave them when they started hunting. Two more are guys that I got into deer hunting. SuperCore, as an example, tried a bunch of different chamberings and finally decided 30-06 gave him the best results.

Looking back over my reason for picking 30-06 goes back to the dawn of my hunting career. I had a crew of older fellows helping me into the sport. One was a veteran of The Bulge. One was a gun editor for a magazine. One was a marine armorer who owned his own gun shop. They all pointed to 30-06 as the best general-purpose rifle for hunting in North America. Here it is 40-some years later, and I still cannot seriously doubt their point.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
I got a Savage 3006 I’ve never used. My old man has used it some. I always heard exactly what you printed that it was just a great all around cartridge for American big game. Guess so many people have one because they feel it’s a “do it all” gun?

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
When I was young and just getting into hunting, the older guys always explained ro me that a 30.06 was always a great choice for all reasons already stated but also because if you ever ran out of shells nearly any mom and pop country store carried a box or two. Fast forward all these years with the ammo scarcity as well as lack of old country stores and it doesn't mean much. Still a great round and overwhelming favorite though.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Back when I first wanted to get into deer hunting, a good friend loaned me a set of rifles & ammo to "try and see what you like." It included a .243, a .270, a .30-06, and a .264 magnum. I set up targets behind the house & started shooting.... I was most accurate with and liked the .30-06 best and ended up buying that rifle from him (and later the rest of the set). I took many, many deer with that .30-06 before biceps/shoulder surgery caused me to start flinching... I still shoot it on occasion but I don't trust myself with it any more - every now & then that flinch rears its ugly head when I least expect it. I tried a .243 and shot it great but I didn't like the results. Perfect heart/lung shot and no blood until the deer fell about a hundred yards away. So a few years ago I switched to a .308 & it's been a deer killing machine. I don't flinch, deer go down hard, and a blind person could follow the resulting blood trail if it doesn't drop in its tracks.

davers

12 pointer
Jul 14, 2014
Kentucky
Back when I first wanted to get into deer hunting, a good friend loaned me a set of rifles & ammo to "try and see what you like." It included a .243, a .270, a .30-06, and a .264 magnum. I set up targets behind the house & started shooting.... I was most accurate with and liked the .30-06 best and ended up buying that rifle from him (and later the rest of the set). I took many, many deer with that .30-06 before biceps/shoulder surgery caused me to start flinching... I still shoot it on occasion but I don't trust myself with it any more - every now & then that flinch rears its ugly head when I least expect it. I tried a .243 and shot it great but I didn't like the results. Perfect heart/lung shot and no blood until the deer fell about a hundred yards away. So a few years ago I switched to a .308 & it's been a deer killing machine. I don't flinch, deer go down hard, and a blind person could follow the resulting blood trail if it doesn't drop in its tracks.
I bagged my first Colorado Mule Deer with a Ruger 77 in .30-06, back in 1982.

Cornpile

12 pointer
Dec 1, 2006
Kornfield County,KY
One of the finest looking rifles I ever bought new was a
Remington model 742 Woods Master with basket weave checkering
on the stock and forearm. It was a 30-06 and very accurate.
I like 30-06 and it has a great following for a big game killer.
woodsmaster.jpg

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
One of the finest looking rifles I ever bought new was a
Remington model 742 Woods Master with basket weave checkering
on the stock and forearm. It was a 30-06 and very accurate.
I like 30-06 and it has a great following for a big game killer.
View attachment 101504
I've got a soft spot in my heart for those 742s and 7400s. Brings back some great great memories. 👍

childersb24

8 pointer
Mar 25, 2010
I have a 7400 that I bought from Tankt on here and I have a Remington 78 bolt. Iv killed a pile of deer with the 78 model and I have only had 3 deer run on me and didn’t go very far. If I was forced to own another rifle I’d go with the 308.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
When I started deer hunting, everybody in camp had an 06. You could get brass easy and usually for free or super cheap. I was taught reloading young and have enjoyed it my whole life. I've been able to load my 06 for everything from Moose down to groundhogs if I choose. The round has never failed me and I've killed dead with it out to 750 yds. If I know I'm gonna potentially have some long shots, I'm gonna carry my 300RUM. It's my go to for bigger/longer ranges, and it's the same 30 cal bullets I shoot out of the 06 so I know how they perform and am confident in them. Like the 06 I've watched em drop dead with the RUM. I own 2 06s a Remington 760 Pump and a Winchester Mod 70 w/Boss on it. Love both of em.

kyjohnky

8 pointer
Dec 23, 2014
06 was one of my very first guns and I heard many people say it’s a all around cartridge. I have killed more deer with my 06 then all of my other hunting weapons put together. I like to compare it to a 300 Honda Fourtrax or a older international tractor.It’s something I can rely on and will always pack it in the woods every season.Got it in 92 or 93 from the old depot which is now Kygunco and had a 44 mag Simmons scope put on it at Walmart when they used to mount scopes and still have it on to this day.