SOB

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
It may have been dumb BG issue, I don't know.
Google says the most common cause for this to happen is not having the nock firmly secured against the string. While I'm 99% sure I did, I can't guarantee it. I was in a hurry to shoot prior to climbing in a stand. Maybe I didn't get it snug, I don't know........... I will definitely be 200% every time in the future. Just glad it doesn't appear to have hurt anything.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
Google says the most common cause for this to happen is not having the nock firmly secured against the string. While I'm 99% sure I did, I can't guarantee it. I was in a hurry to shoot prior to climbing in a stand. Maybe I didn't get it snug, I don't know........... I will definitely be 200% every time in the future. Just glad it doesn't appear to have hurt anything.
That’s likely the cause or you may have hit the limb against something on the shot. I derailed my bow once when the bottom cam bit my stand. These cams have shallow grooves and doesn’t take much to knock them off.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
604AF9C6-0FCF-467A-AAF2-CEC0045527AB.jpeg

Mom just had this carnage. Guess the bolt was cracked. It shoved nock into it, split bolt and cut the string. I showed her repeatedly to snug bolt against serving, she said she knew for a fact it was on the string and double checked before firing.

She’s hunting with recurve till string comes.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
That’s likely the cause or you may have hit the limb against something on the shot. I derailed my bow once when the bottom cam bit my stand. These cams have shallow grooves and doesn’t take much to knock them off.
I was shooting free hand. Limb definitely hit nothing but air.
View attachment 104889
Mom just had this carnage. Guess the bolt was cracked. It shoved nock into it, split bolt and cut the string. I showed her repeatedly to snug bolt against serving, she said she knew for a fact it was on the string and double checked before firing.

She’s hunting with recurve till string comes.
I've got a rigged Destroyer she's welcome to use. It will crank down low enough for her. DL is 28.5 right now, but will go down to 26" I believe.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I was shooting free hand. Limb definitely hit nothing but air.

I've got a rigged Destroyer she's welcome to use. It will crank down low enough for her. DL is 28.5 right now, but will go down to 26" I believe.
I appreciate it but hoping to have her going by next weekend. She was just wanting to get in woods by herself. Her stand has two good shooting lanes with leaves on trees. It’ll be inside 25 yards.

JDMiller

12 pointer
Jun 12, 2005
" Between the Rivers "
You may have not have had the arrow / knock seated against the string good ….. but my guess is simply string and or cables stretched too far past spec and rolled over the cam at the shot

Just like a regular compound bowstring…. their constantly stretching and more twist are needed to keep them in spec.

This is why I like & shoot an Excalibur. I can change a string in about 10 minutes or ad a few twist to keep the brace height within spec easily. All in the field if need be …don’t need a press.

PUBLIC RAT

10 pointer
Feb 18, 2014
Years ago I had cocked xbow before walking to treestand and walked through a bunch of brush. Got in treestand and looked at cables and cams. A stick a little bit thicker than a wooden match had wedged between cam and string. I eventually had to take my gloves off and find a tool to pick it out. If I had shot no doubt something bad would have happened. Also ten point xbows bolts have to have that special nock. Was yours firmly on bolt or missing? I've lost a few myself.

bgkyarcher

12 pointer
Aug 23, 2011
BG
Years ago I had cocked xbow before walking to treestand and walked through a bunch of brush. Got in treestand and looked at cables and cams. A stick a little bit thicker than a wooden match had wedged between cam and string. I eventually had to take my gloves off and find a tool to pick it out. If I had shot no doubt something bad would have happened. Also ten point xbows bolts have to have that special nock. Was yours firmly on bolt or missing? I've lost a few myself.
No doubt the nock was fine. No way of knowing for sure on it being seated properly. I’m pretty certain I snugged it up, but can’t say with 100% certainty. I’m pretty careful about such things, but I was in a hurry.

Latest posts