Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY
DSC04466 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Do you have any of the Large Hickory nut trees on your land.??
The baseball size ones.
I had 6 nuts last year and expect several this year. Trees that had the first nuts were about 12 years old.

I believe they are going to miss the Frost this year.
I Have some more planted and hope they come up...
YOU need some if you don't have any.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
The baseball size ones.
I had 6 nuts last year and expect several this year. Trees that had the first nuts were about 12 years old.

Baseball sized hickory nuts? I've never seen such. Please post a pic

barney

12 pointer
Oct 11, 2005
Yes, big scaley barks. I've only ever seen the two trees in my life. I need to revisit it's been several years since I was there.
They're called king nut hickory. The two big ones I knew as a kid grew in a creek bottom and were probably 80-100 feet tall. It's been a long time since I was there and may try to get back and take some pictures.

After looking at the bark, I may have a single tree here on the farm. It definitely has way shaggier bark than anything I have ever seen, but I have never saw the nuts it produces if it ever has.

Stone Branch

10 pointer
Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY
The baseball size ones.

Jr, I have some carya ovata, shagbarks, but have never seen any shaggy king nuts. Those look like a neat tree to have. I have to say that you are probably the only person that I know planting/growing hickory trees.

I finally got my sticks picked up.

DSC04599 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04595 (1200 x 800).jpg

DSC04592 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Jr, I have some carya ovata, shagbarks, but have never seen any shaggy king nuts. Those look like a neat tree to have. I have to say that you are probably the only person that I know planting/growing hickory trees.

I finally got my sticks picked up.

View attachment 100219

View attachment 100220

View attachment 100221

G
There was a long learning curve for Me with Hickory trees. Kinda like raising Chickens....everything likes to Eat Chickens.
Squirrels dig up the Nuts you plant, Rabbits, Deer and Cows will bite the sprouts off.

Latest posts