Stone Branch

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
I do enjoy the photos you post of the old homestead and your efforts to rebuild the buildings. Very rustic and will make a beautiful spot to live.

Snakes?
Living that close to Deadly Snakes...knowing they are there is a Dangerous game.
You can be RIGHT 999 times out of 1,000 but it only takes one mistake to possibly kill you or one of your Dogs.
Kinda like Skydiving.
You Know you are gonna Die....just not "When" the Chute fails to deploy.
Jest Sayin.....
Carry On....

CRFmxracer

12 pointer
Sep 9, 2010
louisville kentucky
I do enjoy the photos you post of the old homestead and your efforts to rebuild the buildings. Very rustic and will make a beautiful spot to live.

Snakes?
Living that close to Deadly Snakes...knowing they are there is a Dangerous game.
You can be RIGHT 999 times out of 1,000 but it only takes one mistake to possibly kill you or one of your Dogs.
Kinda like Skydiving.
You Know you are gonna Die....just not "When" the Chute fails to deploy.
Jest Sayin.....
Carry On....
I couldn’t do it. But people have coexisted with snakes in those hills for years. Even I get surprised by a snake I get the cold chills. Even if it’s just a rat snake. But SB seems to be pretty experienced with Em

Stone Branch

10 pointer
Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY
One time while looking for a bull moose I had a cow and a calf drop down into a water hole about 5 yards from me on Rock Creek in Lolo, fortunately the wind stayed in my favor, and she moved on. I did find the bull on the way back and I got this photo about the time he was ready to come over and stomp me into the mud.

1659304468961.jpeg

Another time in Colorado a sow sent her cubs up into a ponderosa and then started vocalizing while coming my way. I understood a split without a good picture of her.

DSC09644 (1200 x 900).jpg

DSC09638 (1200 x 900).jpg

The morning that I took this photo I bumped a big rogue bison that seemed to be pissed off at the world that wanted me dead.

1659306557453.jpeg

If I were to make a list of all of the goofy, dangerous shit that I have done for fun, nature photography in the wilds of Kentucky doesn't make the list. Out west, perhaps, Kentucky, no.

G

Stone Branch

10 pointer
Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY
No, but serious, JR is saying if don't kill the serpent the serpent will kill me or my dogs. Well in regards to my dogs as I have documented within this thread, I used rat snakes to educate them as to the business end of a snake. Tank has found and alerted to 2 timbers and Tiny has 1. Snakes stink and can't hide from a dog's nose.

How much danger am I in? Well, we have statistics that can shed some light.

From the years 1989-2018 there have been 22 known envenomizations by timber rattlesnakes in the USA. There have been 7 snakebite fatalities in Kentucky every one of which happened in church. 0 timber rattle snake fatalities in Kentucky outside of church. The odds of me becoming the first are next to zero. The odds really look miniscule if we compare them to the morbidity odds of say dying from an auto accident, or from a gun in the home, or even lets say, having a body mass index over 26.

I respect the animals and I am careful where I put my hands and feet. I have safely relocated 3 timber rattlesnakes when I had to. I take pictures of them, I do not play with them. They are docile creatures that play an important role within the environment.

G

Last edited:

Stone Branch

10 pointer
Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY
Bill Knott head forester for my region out of Moorehead had the UK interns this week and wanted to bring them on to my property for some hands-on experience. Here Josh, below, works the prism, Bill tallies,

DSC05573 (1200 x 800).jpg

and Joe and Shelby measure DBH and determine the number of logs within the tally radius.

DSC05574 (1200 x 800).jpg

25 tally points total for 12 hours of hiking over two days

IMG_0079 (1200 x 675).jpg

It's a rare landowner that serves as the tour guide, but I would have been an idiot to have not taken the chance to learn all I could from Bill. We toured the snake plot but it was too hot out for snakes, the young lady was the most disappointed in not seeing one.

IMG_0117 (1200 x 675).jpg

We were in a gnarly thicket on a steep slope, I walked past it, and Bill drew my attention to it, my remnant american chestnut forest. I learned more about mapleleaf viburnum, blueberry, and seviceberry, which I have a lot of waiting for more sun, black cohosh a seng associate, we found more persimmons than I was aware of. I have an average tally of 3,000 board feet per acre and up in my mature chestnut oaks, more like 9-10,000 board feet. I learned a lot and it was well worth my time.

DSC05587 (1200 x 800).jpg

Motion triggered my snake plot camera Sunday morning, zooming in I believe that the camera caught another timber wrestling match just 10 o'clock of center.

IMG_0068 (1201 x 676).jpg

My 8 is in the snake plot a lot

IMG_0080 (1200 x 675).jpg

and also under one of my bow stands near by. The time on the snake plot camera wasn't adjusted for day light savings.

IMG_0021 (1200 x 675).jpg

A better look at the goofy rack.

IMG_0055 (1200 x 675).jpg

IMG_0056 (1200 x 675).jpg

G

Stone Branch

10 pointer
Jun 27, 2019
Lewis county, KY
All your work is really looking good!

great pics

Thanks guys.

Nice SB, is this year the first you've seen Goofy? Or do you have any history?

I believe Goofy and 8 were buddies last summer

IMG_0029 (1200 x 675).jpg

as they are again this summer but he messed up his pedicle fighting or a bad shed. There were 2 different 8's that were similar but the three often hung out together. The 8 pictured above may be the smaller 8 whom I haven't been seeing this year.

IMG_0054 (1200 x 675).jpg

G

Last edited: