String length

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
Friend of mine was dumpster diving at a YMCA and found dozens of old long bows. I picked out ones I thought were cool a couple Indian and Bear ones caught my eye Anyhow I want to put some strings on them and start practicing they are all 60 inches long unstringed The brief research I did is showing me I need 56 inch string but just wanted to come on here and doublecheck with you guys before I ordered

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
Friend of mine was dumpster diving at a YMCA and found dozens of old long bows. I picked out ones I thought were cool a couple Indian and Bear ones caught my eye Anyhow I want to put some strings on them and start practicing they are all 60 inches long unstringed The brief research I did is showing me I need 56 inch string but just wanted to come on here and doublecheck with you guys before I ordered
Go 3" shorter for longbows, 4" for recurves. Make sure to get Dacron for those old bows, B-50 or B-55.

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
Go 3" shorter for longbows, 4" for recurves. Make sure to get Dacron for those old bows, B-50 or B-55.

These are longbows so 57” but What’s the difference Between B 50 and B 55 what would you recommend? One of the Indian bows says 25 pounds so I’m guessing the others are about the same

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
Im assuming these are all solid fiberglass. You shouldn’t use low stretch modern strings. The b-50 is softer, and gives more. Think of low stretch modern strings as piano wire, it can split the limbs. I have seen it on wood glass laminates for sure. The limb tips have to be built up with super hard tip overlays to prevent this. Solid fiberglass limbs may be alright, but why take a chance? Low stretch material may get you a few feet per second in speed, but i doubt these are high performance bows if they came out of a dumpster. Get b-50

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
Im assuming these are all solid fiberglass. You shouldn’t use low stretch modern strings. The b-50 is softer, and gives more. Think of low stretch modern strings as piano wire, it can split the limbs. I have seen it on wood glass laminates for sure. The limb tips have to be built up with super hard tip overlays to prevent this. Solid fiberglass limbs may be alright, but why take a chance? Low stretch material may get you a few feet per second in speed, but i doubt these are high performance bows if they came out of a dumpster. Get b-50

Yes they are all fiberglass and not very fancy however gives me that nostalgic feeling like I was back at summer camp years ago. I was given a PSE Impala recurve that just sits in the closet.I was told starting out practicing with a higher poundage bow is not the best so I was excited to get these light lb bows to start practicing with

beauhunter41031

12 pointer
Jan 1, 2018
Cynthiana, Ky
Pics of bows please that came out of a dumpster.

As I mentioned their nothing special but these are the ones I picked out I thought were neat, there’s still another 10 or so in his shed that are a little smaller or missing grips etc.
E8A8F241-8BB5-41B6-A4DA-B7FAEC26FD7B.jpeg

5E1B291B-626F-412C-B6C3-B16954001261.jpeg
C1CEBC73-E447-419D-A064-BD81743E39A3.jpeg
A918DA00-8EF1-4A2B-82BF-1335D04AACFC.jpeg

grinder

12 pointer
Oct 28, 2003
harrodsburg, ky, USA.
There aint a thing wrong with those bows, get every one you can if they are free. A good string can make any bow shoot better. Most production strings are endless loop. I HATE endless loop.

Latest posts