Suspect mechanic fraud

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
My car needed a motor so I took it to mechanic down the road. I found a motor for $500 with 110k on it. He said he found one for $750 with 148k and would rather buy it bc it's local and if anything happened the local place would make it right.

He told me it would take 2-3 weeks before he could get to it. My car did not move for 7 weeks while I am paying $150 a week in gas in my truck. I had to contact the owner to get the mechanic to respond to texts and phone calls.

I get my car back. The exhaust is broken in 2 places. He tells me the flex joint crumbled when he unbolted it from the motor. I personally cut off the flex joint 3 years ago. I had an exhaust shop weld in a brand new pipe where flex joint used to be 2 weeks prior to the motor blowing up. The other break in the exhaust was directly beneath the front drive shaft where they tried to pry it out. Is this fraud on 2 counts?

When I drove it to work it was pulling hard to the left. I got under it and saw there was no seal on the driveshaft to the transmission. I texted the mechanic and received no response. I checked the fluid and it was 1.5 quarts low after 1 day. He charged me for 2 quarts.

It gets better. Mechanic had told me it needed a new driveshaft bc the cv boot was torn. When I went to replace it I quickly discovered why there was no seal and why the boot was torn. When they pried off the shaft they pulled the output shaft out of the transmission and put it back in backwards. This not only made it impossible for the seal to be put back on buy also made the cv driveshaft stick out several inches further. This made it bind up and put it into contact with a clip that bolted some wires to the frame and shredded the boot.

Still getting better. I had my car for 3 weeks and noticed a coolant leak. Water pump needed replaced. While he was in there the timing belt needed replacing. $300. He gave me a 30 day warranty. Should I pay this?

Not done yet. Needed alignment for some reason. Didn't need one before even after replacing the shaft 4 years earlier. Took it to Big O, they said it needed a ball joint too. Didn't need one before. I replaced the lower control arm and noticed fresh hammer marks on it, took pics, and saved it.

Car is done now. Mechanic asked for payment again. Told him I wanted a copy of the motor invoice 2 times already. He told me to take it up with the owner. I texted the owner and he told me it would take him 1-2 days to get invoice. That's very suspicious. Sounds like he may be getting a fraudulent invoice made up. I am thinking he got the motor for less and his story for using local is BS. Can I get both his personal and business records subpoenaed along with the junkyard? I know junkyards are shady anyways. Hard receipts as well as bank statements.

So after them having my car from late April til last week, owner tells me "to get your money ready". That didn't sit well.

What government office or what type of lawyer can I contact?

Mt Pokt

8 pointer
Nov 8, 2018
Campbell County
What were you charged for the work?

My thought would be to tell him all those things, tell him you're getting receipts together to repair all of the damaged he caused, and you'll let him know whether there will be anything left for him or if he'll owe you more.

He'll either eat his shady work or sue you.

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
$2000 total. Should I pay myself labor beyond cost of receipts?

If he wants to go to court I will file fraud charges, report him to BBB and Chamber of Commerce as well as post it on Facebook, here, YouTube, and Yelp.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
Tough crowd tonight
Not really. I’ve tried to follow all the ins and the outs. It is what it is. It’s an older, high mileage vehicle….good luck proving they did anything wrong. You would spend far more than $2000 going to court. It’s just not worth it. Standing on principle sounds good until the reality wall kicks in. Legally you stand no chance. Even in small claims court if that were available. Unfortunate, but that’s how it is.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
Not really. I’ve tried to follow all the ins and the outs. It is what it is. It’s an older, high mileage vehicle….good luck proving they did anything wrong. You would spend far more than $2000 going to court. It’s just not worth it. Standing on principle sounds good until the reality wall kicks in. Legally you stand no chance. Even in small claims court if that were available. Unfortunate, but that’s how it is.
This right here is what you have against you, you have to be able to prove their screw ups.
This why I do my own work. I know not everyone can do it or have the time and tools to do this kind of work.

But you should be able to make them produce the paperwork.

slobear

12 pointer
Nov 20, 2014
Trump town, USA
You would have to have a detailed inspection from said mechanic prior to the work performed to even stand a chance in court. I understand principle but I keep a big piece of chalk handy.

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
Although obviously shady in their business dealings, it sounds more like the "mechanic" was generally a dumbass with little clue what he was doing. As said already, going to court will cost more than the bill with no chance. I would just call it hard lesson learned.

That having to pay to fight it works both ways if you have possession. I paid $900 of a $1400 bill to a shady mechanic for a blown head gasket that still wouldn’t run when i got it back lol. He didn’t give an estimate so he decided he wanted another $500, kept hounding me for it and I told him good luck. He threatened to sue me and I encouraged him to, told him I welcomed the opportunity to tell my story to a judge and that was end of it. Bet you’d welcome same opportunity.