The New Military Round....

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.
is the 6.8x51mm. It has a steel lower portion of the casing, and it will run at over 80,000 PSI !!!! That is 20,000 over 7.62x51.NATO. The civilian round is .277 Fury, which I think is still a wildcat, and runs at normal pressures.. The 6.8x51 and the Fury are the .308 necked down to 6.8. I think it's the same bullet as the .270 Win. How long until some Bubba gets a hold of some military rounds at 80,000psi, sticks it in a Savage Axis in .308, and blows his hand off?? I'd say a reloader could get the civilian version of the SIG Spear military rifle, and down load it with brass cased ammo. It will be interesting if surplus ever gets into the civilian market. If it does, it will be may years, I'd say.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Whats it’s primarily application?

1000 rounds of 5.56 weighs just under 8lbs, 1000 rounds of 6.8 weighs around 20.
5.56 will be hard to replace for this reason.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
The 3 piece casing to contain the pressures is trouble waiting to happen. They should really just improve upon the existing rounds with more effective bullets. This is not the time in the world to go switching weapon platforms (barrels, magazines, bullets).

The only benefit I can see is if you were counting on getting over an by an enemy, coming off all the standard rounds that could be used against you.

JR in KY

12 pointer
Jan 25, 2006
The Occupied South
Some egghead trying to FIX something that Ain't BROKE.
I know a lot of folks that delve deeply into the Wildcat barrel.
Just BS stuff trying to be different.; most Wildcats hold little advantage. But. Some make it to the Store Shelves eventually.

That being said, my favorite Rifle is Chambered in 6 Dasher, but Brass is now commercially available now.
6 Creedmore was a Wildcat to begin with I think.

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.
The 3 piece casing to contain the pressures is trouble waiting to happen. They should really just improve upon the existing rounds with more effective bullets. This is not the time in the world to go switching weapon platforms (barrels, magazines, bullets).

The only benefit I can see is if you were counting on getting over an by an enemy, coming off all the standard rounds that could be used against you.
It's a 2 piece now, and I just heard the cases can be loaded up to about 120,000 PSI giving the ammo lots of room for development. They are currently around 80,000. I wouldn't want to be the first shooting 120,000 psi.

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.
Just BS stuff trying to be different.; most Wildcats hold little advantage. But. Some make it to the Store Shelves eventually.

That being said, my favorite Rifle is Chambered in 6 Dasher, but Brass is now commercially available now.
The reason for the high pressure round is to coax more speed from a short barreled rifle with a can. To get the speed they want the barrel would have to be pretty long. They want the short barrel to lose weight and bulk. My question is how long will the barrels last with this pressure?

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.
Whats it’s primarily application?

1000 rounds of 5.56 weighs just under 8lbs, 1000 rounds of 6.8 weighs around 20.
5.56 will be hard to replace for this reason.
It will be used in the battle rifle and an all purpose squad automatic weapon, both being relatively light weight for the caliber. They will have fewer rounds, but more effective rounds at any distance.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky

The platform is heavy. It kicks like a mule, I don’t see our green haired he/she’s handling it with ease. Barrel life is going to suffer.

MAC doesn’t think it’s a great idea. At least it should only cost the tax payers a few hundred billion while we’re going into a depression, hyperinflation and a global conflict.

Last edited:

bluegrassDan

6 pointer
Dec 17, 2008
Based on my first hand experiance, the 5.56mm round sucks for stopping people in a lot more situations than we think. I think the step up to the new round is a step in the right direction, but it will come with a cost. I would much prefer having to hump heavier ammo if it is going to put a guy down with one or two shots vs what we have now.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Based on my first hand experiance, the 5.56mm round sucks for stopping people in a lot more situations than we think. I think the step up to the new round is a step in the right direction, but it will come with a cost. I would much prefer having to hump heavier ammo if it is going to put a guy down with one or two shots vs what we have now.
Valid point for sure. I dont think soldiers will be carrying extra weight, they will be carrying less rounds.

reivertom

12 pointer
Dec 17, 2007
Greenup Co.

I have one wildcat, and it's the oldest.....the 35-30. I refurbed a screwed up Marlin 336. The 35-30 came around when the early 30-30 Winchesters started wearing out, and they re-bored and re-chambered the barrels to .35 caliber and used the same case as the 30-30. I really like it, and it's a good choice because unlike .35 Remington, you can easily form brass from 30-30. It is barely under the .35 Rem. in speed, but not enough to make much difference. The one advantage is it has a longer neck and can hold heavy bullets better.

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky

The platform is heavy. It kicks like a mule, I don’t see our green haired he/she’s handling it with ease. Barrel life is going to suffer.

MAC doesn’t think it’s a great idea. At least it should only cost the tax payers a few hundred billion while we’re going into a depression, hyperinflation and a global conflict.
I like those guys. I’m going to start watching more of their content. I learned quite a bit.

raidergson

10 pointer
Dec 10, 2010
Garrard County
The Geneva legal Green, non-toxic 5.56 is such a downgrade from the mean lead cored conservative old fashioned round, that we meed a new larger ultra high pressured round to compensate for needing a suitable Earth friendly bullet.

Latest posts