Tool talk

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
I didn't read through all of this, but I can say for homeowner use Dewalt is fine. For everyday commercial use go with Milwaukee. We tried Dewalt in all sizes at work and in the daily use they just don't hold up. Milwaukee tools last much much longer. For the second part, yes you can definitely get a reel for cords or modify a hose reel to keep the tangles in check. Both work fine.

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
Disagree with the durability of Dewalt tools.
I liken this debate to diesel trucks. Milwaukee is a diesel truck. For certain applications they are a must. And guys in that boat tend to think everything else is inadequate.
But if you aint pulling over 8k. A gas half ton makes a lot more sense.
For your avg home owner that completes 10 small projects and 1-2 big projects a year dewalt and others do fine. Ill even say if you primarily frame pine, finish work, and even decks dewalt will be fine but commercial metalworkers and auto mechanics just need something a little more stout IMO. I tend to use corded tools for heavier duty jobs (sawzalls, and drills) since i dont own any Milwaukee cordless. Ive used them at work and when working with other’s tools.

Last edited:

EdLongshanks

12 pointer
Nov 16, 2013
Northern Kentucky
I liken this debate to diesel trucks. Milwaukee is a diesel truck. For certain applications they are a must. And guys in that boat tend to think everything else is inadequate.
But if you aint pulling over 8k. A gas half ton makes a lot more sense.
For your avg home owner that completes 10 small projects and 1-2 big projects a year dewalt and others do fine. Ill even say if you primarily frame pine, finish work, and even decks dewalt will be fine but commercial metalworkers and auto mechanics just need something a little more stout IMO. I tend to use corded tools for heavier duty jobs (sawzalls, and drills) since i dont own any Milwaukee cordless. Ive used them at work and when working with other’s.
I try to use all corded tools but I think your analogy is more accurate by saying Milwaukee is a duramax and Dewalt is a powerstroke

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
I try to use all corded tools but I think your analogy is more accurate by saying Milwaukee is a duramax and Dewalt is a powerstroke
Im not a ford guy so… i’m incapable of making that analogy without it having a very different meaning lol

carnivore

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2007
Ky
The first time I used a Milwaukee Fuel 3/4" impact my eyes were seeing but my mind wasn't believing the amount of torque their battery powered impact was capable of
Yup, my mind was blown after using the 3/4 impact and a corded hammerdrill. Just felt steps above.

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
Ive used Dewalt for 20+ years. We have recently peppered in a few Milwaukee pieces. Love the Milwaukee hole hawg. Dont think you can go wrong with either.
I’ve used the hole hawg a lot drilling 2 5/8” holes in new construction houses drilling out holes for plumbing drains and vent pipes. Most houses you could drill out a whole house on one 8 amp battery. That drill is a tad heavy but it flat works

predator1

12 pointer
Dec 25, 2008
On top of a hill in Ky
All of us at work use Milwaukee we have about ever tool they make, they are bad ass!
Dewalt don't hold up for the kind of abuse we put them threw only impacts that I have seen better are the ones from snap ons but they are way to over priced.
I keep a half in impact in my vehical and have stopped and changed people's tires on the side of the road alot it's very fast compared to a lug wrench in the rain.
I have zero complaints with DeWalt. That’s what I have at work. I chose those because the other guys have Milwaukee. Ive yet to see them do anything any better than the DeWalt. I’ve dropped my drill and 1/2” impact out of the scissor a couple of times. Knocked them off 10’ step ladders repeatedly. Got a cordless SDS hammer drill that’s bored an untold number of 1/2” concrete anchor holes. I honestly think there is no room to complain about them or Milwaukee. Everything at home is Rigid with the exception of a few items.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
I had Dewalt for years, gave em to the kid when he bought his house. They were getting wore out but would be fine for what he would need. I bought a Makita drill and driver and hand router, and really like them. But I've bought some Ryobi stuff lately and really like them. The 5 1/2" saw is pretty dang sweet and the batteries won't take ya broke. My wife's uncle passed and I got his Milwaukee set, the only thing I don't like is they are friggin heavy. Older I get the lighter I like my cordless tools.

aaronc

12 pointer
Jul 21, 2009
Leitchfield
I had Dewalt for years, gave em to the kid when he bought his house. They were getting wore out but would be fine for what he would need. I bought a Makita drill and driver and hand router, and really like them. But I've bought some Ryobi stuff lately and really like them. The 5 1/2" saw is pretty dang sweet and the batteries won't take ya broke. My wife's uncle passed and I got his Milwaukee set, the only thing I don't like is they are friggin heavy. Older I get the lighter I like my cordless tools.

Older I get the lighter I like my everything ✌️