Tree ID

Mt Pokt

8 pointer
Nov 8, 2018
Campbell County
I'm going with persimmon as well. They can get over 60 feet tall, but would probably take a century or more to get that big. I have dozens on my place with the thickest trunk being about 6 or 7 inches in diameter. The hill most of mine are on was last hayed probably 40 years ago. It takes 2 to get fruit so if it's the only one near, you won't get any.
Funny thing about the kentucky persimmon is that the fruit aren't ripe till they fall off the tree. When I start finding them on the ground, I'll give the tree a shake and pick up what comes down. Got about 2 gallons last year. I ate a few to make sure they were ripe and decided to make a batch of jam. Apparently a couple that weren't quite ready made it through and ruined the whole batch.
Some say you can use enough sugar to make jam out of any fruit, but I beg to differ. Just a couple little persimmon can be astringent enough to ruin a whole batch.
They're best if you take a pack of crackers to the woods with you and treat them like jelly packets.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
I'm going with persimmon as well. They can get over 60 feet tall, but would probably take a century or more to get that big. I have dozens on my place with the thickest trunk being about 6 or 7 inches in diameter. The hill most of mine are on was last hayed probably 40 years ago. It takes 2 to get fruit so if it's the only one near, you won't get any.
Funny thing about the kentucky persimmon is that the fruit aren't ripe till they fall off the tree. When I start finding them on the ground, I'll give the tree a shake and pick up what comes down. Got about 2 gallons last year. I ate a few to make sure they were ripe and decided to make a batch of jam. Apparently a couple that weren't quite ready made it through and ruined the whole batch.
Some say you can use enough sugar to make jam out of any fruit, but I beg to differ. Just a couple little persimmon can be astringent enough to ruin a whole batch.
They're best if you take a pack of crackers to the woods with you and treat them like jelly packets.
An early one will grow hair on the roof of your mouth immediately. I initiated my kids with em last September lol

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
An early one will grow hair on the roof of your mouth immediately. I initiated my kids with em last September lol
Had a teacher in high school who brought in a bucket full one day. He put one on each desk & we were told we had to eat 'em or he was flunking us. Did I mention that he also wired a car battery to the door of the room so we couldn't get out without being shocked??? A few of the guys managed to climb out the windows.... the rest of us were just stuck choking & gagging.

Can you imagine if a teacher did that nowadays?????

Latest posts