What’s happened to Taylorsville WMA?

Cole505

6 pointer
Sep 6, 2016
Lagrange
B
And Kentucky is $335. So on par with the amount of opportunity that is available to you. Every state says they want oos hunters priced out. If Montana natives had their way you couldn’t sniff their air for less than 3-4 grand. The thing is if you want nice things you have to deal with OOS hunters and the money they generate. Or face probably a 50-100% increase on in-state license fees. And Kentucky is more expensive than pretty much any state that I just searched near us east of the Mississippi. West you pay more because of all of the public land.
Kentucky is one of the best states for B&C entries so it should be priced accordingly. Where you seeing 335?

It’s showing 185 for nonresident deer.

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
I no longer argue in opinions as it’s pointless.

Non resident public land deer
WY $338
CO $364
MT $570
ID $456
UT $343
SD$229
NE $286
NM $359
OR $516
AZ $460
WA $434

These are 2013 #’s from a quick search. I’m certain they haven’t decreased.

Compare apples to apples. Look at like States east of the Mississippi. Look at Md, Pa, Va, NC, SC, Tn, Ms, Ga, FL, Al for the cost of hunting license
How many of those states have over the counter deer tags like Ky? Very few, NE maybe. The states you posted up, most are on a draw system for their tags. The ol supply vs demand drives prices. Your list offer more big game than deer, turkey (and a few elk tags); elk, mule deer, sheep, mountain goats in a few, moose in a few, bison in a few, pronghorn, javalina, mountain lion, wolves in a few, abundance of bear.
And in those states, bump into COs all the time.

Last edited:

CalebConn16

8 pointer
May 27, 2016
Fair point, my bad.
That actually makes me feel much better. 335 seems reasonable
Exactly Wisconsin is #1 you can hunt there if it’s your first time for 80 freaking dollars, just 150 after that. Illinois is confusing as hell with what to buy but best I can figure I can archery hunt for around 250. Ohio is also above us on the list and it’s about half of what it costs here. So I mean we’re actually expensive.

CalebConn16

8 pointer
May 27, 2016
Paying for opportunity.
Compare apples to apples. Look at like States east of the Mississippi. Look at Md, Pa, Va, NC, SC, Tn, Ms, Ga, FL, Al for the cost of hunting license
How many of those states have over the counter deer tags like Ky? The states you posted up, most are on a draw system, offer more big game than deer, turkey (and a few elk tags); elk, mule deer, sheep, mountain goats in a few, moose in a few, bison in a few, pronghorn, javalina, mountain lion, wolves in a few, abundance of bear.

WaterDog88

12 pointer
Jul 28, 2008
Kentucky
Public land is what it is. The deer are where the people aren’t. Put some hills or water between you and access points and you’ll see less people. I’ve never hunted taylorsville but from what I’ve seen from maps a canoe or small boat might be your best friend there.

bdbrown66

8 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
Exactly Wisconsin is #1 you can hunt there if it’s your first time for 80 freaking dollars, just 150 after that. Illinois is confusing as hell with what to buy but best I can figure I can archery hunt for around 250. Ohio is also above us on the list and it’s about half of what it costs here. So I mean we’re actually expensive.
Ohio is not half the cost of KY. Ohio nonresident license is $180.96, and deer tag is $76.96. So that's roughly $250 for one deer. You want to shoot another, pay another $76.96. Whereas the KY tag is good for up to 4 deer, depending on the zone. If you figure on shooting 2 deer in each state, the cost is almost identical.

NOCAMST

8 pointer
Oct 9, 2017
Central ky
Illinois is 475 to get you in the woods for an archery deer hunt been buying them for several years now

Strut 'N' Buck

10 pointer
Apr 16, 2011
Shepherdsville, KY
Podcasts, ON X maps, and the hunting public on youtube is what's happened in the last 5 years.

The average deer hunter under 40 has way more tools and information at his disposal than his dad's generation did. There are no secrets anymore.

To your point on the maps, nowadays guys just drive around public ground and places like Knox and just mark where you are parked on their app. Then they come back and hunt it when you’re gone. And more times than not, when a hunter runs into me at Knox, first thing they do is get their phone out. Why do you think that is??? To mark where you’re at so they can come back. This happened to me a couple years ago at Knox, went back later in the year and there was trash at the base of the same tree I always climbed. Mind you, I never saw people in this area. Unfortunately, all it takes is 1 person/hunter anymore and it’s a free for all. Definitely aren’t keeping a secret this day and age.

Redlined

12 pointer
Sep 23, 2005
In The Tree Next To Ya
To your point on the maps, nowadays guys just drive around public ground and places like Knox and just mark where you are parked on their app. Then they come back and hunt it when you’re gone. And more times than not, when a hunter runs into me at Knox, first thing they do is get their phone out. Why do you think that is??? To mark where you’re at so they can come back. This happened to me a couple years ago at Knox, went back later in the year and there was trash at the base of the same tree I always climbed. Mind you, I never saw people in this area. Unfortunately, all it takes is 1 person/hunter anymore and it’s a free for all. Definitely aren’t keeping a secret this day and age.
And another point to add to that, if you're a regular out there ppl will look for your vehicle and then sign into whatever areas you hunt. They know who is successful, who scouts alot, etc. Years back it got to the point I drove my wife's(at the time) vehicle or rode with buddies. Lazy people suck.

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
And another point to add to that, if you're a regular out there ppl will look for your vehicle and then sign into whatever areas you hunt. They know who is successful, who scouts alot, etc. Years back it got to the point I drove my wife's(at the time) vehicle or rode with buddies. Lazy people suck.

Work smarter, not harder

Latest posts