What if!

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
Knowing what you know now what would you have picked for a carrier other than what you do now?
I have worked on cars my entire life and have gotten to the point that I hate it!
I think I would of loved being a homicide detective I love watching shows like the first 48 and lieutenant Joe Kendra homicide hunter.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
I took a test once and it came back that the job most suitable for me was a pianist or surgeon. My hand dexterity and coordination was off the charts. Instead I'm working in a paper mill the last 27 years....I would have liked to have done the Dr. Pimple Popper job. If not that it would always have been nice to work in an outdoor job like a wildlife biologist.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
Honestly, I wish I'd never given up my career as a technical writer to become a stay-at-home mom. I loved what I was doing but at the time, it seemed like the best thing to do for our kids. Daycare was NOT working out for our daughter & our son was on the way so we made the decision for me to give it up to stay home & raise them. However, now our daughter barely speaks to us and couldn't care less about us and our son always throws it in our faces how we didn't let him have all the things we couldn't afford because of being a single-income family. If I'd kept my career, the hubby & I would be a heckuva lot better off financially going towards retirement & maybe we could do the things we always wanted to do but didn't so the kids could have a better life.

Last edited:

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
I took a test once and it came back that the job most suitable for me was a pianist or surgeon. My hand dexterity and coordination was off the charts. Instead I'm working in a paper mill the last 27 years....I would have liked to have done the Dr. Pimple Popper job. If not that it would always have been nice to work in an outdoor job like a wildlife biologist.

Took a few tests which returned astronaut. Although it would be cool, I still don't fancy the idea of risking my life in that particular manner.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
The road education has taken with politics and crazy kids and parents, yes, I’d probably done something else. The hours have been hard to beat as far as being off with family some during the summer and holidays. I’m hoping it pays off retirement wise but I haven’t enjoyed the last few years and may take the low retirement pay end and pray my health holds up. I could always sub a couple days a week, mow some lawns living in a populated neighborhood, or real estate. Heck, it’s Lexington, I could do PT at Cabela’s or Sportsman’s or somewhere if I had to. As far as something else. Always felt like I should have done some branch of the military. I honestly don’t know. I wanted to coach basketball, even at a young age, and I got to that by going into education, even though I didn’t become a rich college coach. If I could be the next Diners-Drive In’s- and Dives guy that would be great. Just drive around the country and eat.

Last edited:

HuntressOfLight

12 pointer
Nov 23, 2019
Guarding my lovely bluebirds
Apparently, I am half an inch too short, too. Height requirement may have even been taller, when I took those various tests.

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Honestly, I wish I'd never given up my career as a technical writer to become a stay-at-home mom. At the time, it seemed like the right thing to do, what would be best for our kids, but our daughter barely speaks to us and couldn't care less about us and our son always throws it in our faces how we didn't let him have all the things we couldn't afford because of being a single-income family. If I'd kept my career, the hubby & I would be a heckuva lot better off financially going towards retirement & maybe we could do the things we always wanted to do but didn't so the kids could have a better life.
I hate to read this. I can tell from the years of you posting on the forum that you all are great people. We were poor and single income with dad doing construction, mainly drywall. I didn’t have squat compared to many of my friends but parents cared about us and taught as about hard work and taking pride. I don’t know how old your kids are but many of my classmates who had families with money or looked down on people like us have had sh*tty lives compared to mine. I give my parents credit. They taught and gave us a lot of things money can’t buy.

Lady Hunter

12 pointer
Jan 12, 2009
I hate to read this. I can tell from the years of you posting on the forum that you all are great people. We were poor and single income with dad doing construction, mainly drywall. I didn’t have squat compared to many of my friends but parents cared about us and taught as about hard work and taking pride. I don’t know how old your kids are but many of mine who had families with money or looked down on people like us have had sh*tty lives compared to mine. I give my parents credit. They taught and gave us a lot of things money can’t buy.
Your parents are lucky to have you. All I can say is that we did the best we could for our kids... but apparently that wasn't good enough. The Kid seems to be starting to "get it" as he gets older (and has had the real world smack him around a few times) but his sister.... all she cares about is money & she's got it in her head that we deprived her of what she deserved. (And no, none of us ever did without but it was tight... and most of the time we had to choose between what was needed vs what was wanted....)

Latest posts