What kind of jigs do you use for blue gill?

silentarcher

8 pointer
Feb 27, 2013
west ky
Just wondering what jigs are the best or your favorite for bluegills? I love catching them and have no trouble getting on them but there's lots of times i believe a small artificial lure would be best and cheaper to catch them on. Seems there's very few options to micro jigs where I'm from but would love to hear any suggestions or pointers for these little little guys.

Xi Bowhunter

12 pointer
Nov 17, 2002
Goetz Farm
Popeye and a mealworm, or a bead-head fly is what I use. The bead-head fly works great if there is a little wind and "chop" on the water.

M

mrdux

I use a black 1/32 jig head with a black "bluegill bug" spider looking body with legs.

A friend of mine fishes a lot of watershed lakes and he uses nothing but a tiny "Keystone Minnow" jig under a tiny clear casting bubble float. I've seen him catch bass up to 7 pounds on this rig and untold numbers of gills and redears.

silentarcher

8 pointer
Feb 27, 2013
west ky
Thanks for the replies guys. As much as I've fished i never even thought about tipping a jig for bluegill!!lol I've seen some little spider lookin jigs on the net that look awesome but they were homemade and the guy doesn't sell them. I'm gonna keep tryin with the few little jigs ive got and start tippin em and keep an out out for some of the ones suggested above. Figure i'll have to order them online.

M

mrdux

Ken's in Lake City,Shop-o-Rama and Fisherman's Headquarters in Draffenville and Bass n Gas all carry the bluegill bug bodies.

BR1

8 pointer
Apr 8, 2012
I use a black head jig 1/32 oz. with a yellow jacket body. I have been getting them at The Cabin bait shop in Kuttawa. Most generally I use a fly rod and reel and fish for them that way.

Latest posts