What line

mudhole crossing

12 pointer
Aug 20, 2007
East ky
For crappie in brush piles. I don’t like tying hooks every few minutes so I’m looking for something that I can straighten hooks but is not big in diameter/low visibility.

hunt

10 pointer
Sep 29, 2015
The Berg
I use Daiwa J-Braid X8 in 10lb florescent yellow, color the last couple feet with a black marker if you don't like hi-vis, or buy the green. It'll straighten most crappie hooks.

Another option for the really thick stuff is the original Slider heads, that's about all I use anymore, rarely ever snag with those.

Luther's Feist

10 pointer
Oct 25, 2014
Coeburn, Va
After another post on here about fishing line I decided to try the bass pro excel fishing line and man I gotta say it is the best mono I've bought for the money. The 2lb seems as tough as regular 6. I also bought a spool of 8kb just for bluegill and crappie fishing in brush piles. I only got to go for around an hour and hung up twice. That line is super tough. I was pulling the boat the first time trying to get it loose and the line cut into my hands, hooke finally straightened. Second hang up when I was pulling the line it again cut me but the limb I was hung on underwater broke off. I'll be using it from now on but will probably go with either 4 or 6lb test next time for the gills

luvtohunt

12 pointer
Sep 1, 2011
Eubank, Ky
I throw mine on 6 pound hi vis Mr Crappie usually. Fish a lot of brush in the spring. Instead of worrying about line, I make my jig heads weedless. Take the smallest drill bit I can find and drill a hole in my jig head between the eye and shank of the hook angled down then hot glue about a 2 inch piece of 40 pound mono in there. Let it dry then trim it down so that it’s just past the hook. I’ve fished multiple trips with the same jig head before a fish popped out my guard. My buddy uses really light wire from a hobby shop. Wraps the bait keeper a couple times then a single wrap around the back side of the eye and angles down toward the hook. They work well too but i personally think it’s too stiff for light bites. Buying weedless jig heads is stupid expensive.

Latest posts