When do yall start....

woodsman92

10 pointer
Feb 16, 2019
Russell Co
Thx guys, I always used to put out mineral/salt etc after the last week of bow season and then refresh during turkey season after the spring rains, but nowadays I'm hesitant to do anything until June because of that dumb rule, and I completely agree with @carnivore on that, but I have eyes watching.

As far as mineral, I'll use about whatever. I use plain ol salt/mineral blocks on well established sites that are hidden( a big,white block draws attention in a couple of my spots) or deer cocaine, or Lucky Buck, or Trophy Rocks(if I can catch them on sale), etc..... If starting a new site I always go with Lucky Buck or Black Magic, in my experience the deer usually find both of those quicker, and personally, I just think it's because of the aroma.

I've never really witnessed much difference in any mineral, except for one. Years ago I bought something made by HS Strut( yeah, I know, the same folks that make the acorn cruncher,etc😂), and I don't think it's been marketed for a long time, but is was called Primetime 27(maybe 26), heck, I don't remember. Anyway, that stuff was like meth to a dope-head, they wouldn't leave it alone on established or new sites, it was crazy. I'd like to find some more of that stuff!!
So that was your mineral site with the salt block in it on public land I found last season? Haha you got my picture checking it out

Bowonly86

6 pointer
Apr 16, 2019
Pendleton county
Right now is the time to start for me. I prep my stands. Make mock scrapes, and put out mineral licks. As soon as turkey season ends. I have already been traipsing around disturbing the woods for a month. So I think it’s the perfect time to get all your prep work done. I try to put my mineral licks on the edge of thickets that I think hold deer and offer bedding cover. I put a camera on them. I will go in late august and check the camera swap cards add batteries and any last minute prep. I have one property I bait on so I am in and out of there a lot in august. It’s mainly where I take does. My other property I try to stay out of until the last week of October.

1LOW8TE

6 pointer
Sep 9, 2005
Kentucky
This will be my 1 year prepping a spot. My Land is only 6 acres but with the neighbors we have about 30+ that backs up tp a Private lake. They don't Bow hunt so I'm trying to get 1-2 Doe before gun season. Sounds like Mineral Licks are the way to go right now.

Drahts

12 pointer
Apr 7, 2015
KY
I started late February. Refresh it every 3 weeks. Here is what is in the mineral I use.

Ultimate Deer Mineral

Guaranteed Analysis
Calcium Max 19.00 %
Calcium Min 15.00 %
Phosphorus Min 7.50 %
Salt Max 20.00 %
Salt Min 22.00 %
Magnesium Min 1.25 %
Potassium Min 1.00 %
Sulfur Min 1.00 %
Copper Min 1,250 ppm
Selenium Min 26 ppm
Zinc Min 5,000 ppm
Manganese Min 5,000 ppm
Iron Min 1,500 ppm
Iodine Min 50 ppm
Vitamin A Min 150,000 IU/LB
Vitamin D Min 40,000 IU/LB
Vitamin E Min 500 IU/LB

Ingredients
Monocalcium Phosphate. Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate, Sulfur, Yeast Culture, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Iron Sulfate. Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, Hydrolyzed yeast, Selenium Yeast, Dry Cane Molasses, Mineral Oil, Zinc Polysaccaride, Manganese Polysaccaride, Copper Polysaccaride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Ethlenedimine dihydriodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Natural and Artificial Flavors
Description

25 lb bag

To the mineral I add this. It highly reduces the flies and ticks on your deer.

Guaranteed Analysis

Sulfur 40.0%
Magnesium 0.40%
Potassium 0.30%
Zinc 1,500 ppm
Manganese 1,500 ppm
Copper 380 ppm
Selenium 11 ppm
Vitamin A 75,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D 25,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E 300 IU/lb

Ingredients:

Sulfur, Sodium Bicarbonate, Dextrose, Magnesium Oxide, Molasses, Potassium Carbonate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zin Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, Zinc Polysaccharides, Manganese Polysaccharides, Copper Poly Saccharides, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Natural and Artificial Flavors.

Meatstick

12 pointer
Oct 25, 2013
Washington County
I started late February. Refresh it every 3 weeks. Here is what is in the mineral I use.

Ultimate Deer Mineral

Guaranteed Analysis
Calcium Max 19.00 %
Calcium Min 15.00 %
Phosphorus Min 7.50 %
Salt Max 20.00 %
Salt Min 22.00 %
Magnesium Min 1.25 %
Potassium Min 1.00 %
Sulfur Min 1.00 %
Copper Min 1,250 ppm
Selenium Min 26 ppm
Zinc Min 5,000 ppm
Manganese Min 5,000 ppm
Iron Min 1,500 ppm
Iodine Min 50 ppm
Vitamin A Min 150,000 IU/LB
Vitamin D Min 40,000 IU/LB
Vitamin E Min 500 IU/LB

Ingredients
Monocalcium Phosphate. Calcium Carbonate, Salt, Magnesium Oxide, Magnesium Sulfate, Potassium Sulfate, Sulfur, Yeast Culture, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Iron Sulfate. Copper Sulfate, Mineral Oil, Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Dried Lactobacillus casei fermentation product, Dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product, Dried Bifidobacterium longum fermentation product, Aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract, Hydrolyzed yeast, Selenium Yeast, Dry Cane Molasses, Mineral Oil, Zinc Polysaccaride, Manganese Polysaccaride, Copper Polysaccaride, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Sodium Selenite, Ethlenedimine dihydriodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Natural and Artificial Flavors
Description

25 lb bag

To the mineral I add this. It highly reduces the flies and ticks on your deer.

Guaranteed Analysis

Sulfur 40.0%
Magnesium 0.40%
Potassium 0.30%
Zinc 1,500 ppm
Manganese 1,500 ppm
Copper 380 ppm
Selenium 11 ppm
Vitamin A 75,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D 25,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E 300 IU/lb

Ingredients:

Sulfur, Sodium Bicarbonate, Dextrose, Magnesium Oxide, Molasses, Potassium Carbonate, Magnesium Sulfate, Zin Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Iron Sulfate, Selenium Yeast, Zinc Polysaccharides, Manganese Polysaccharides, Copper Poly Saccharides, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Natural and Artificial Flavors.
Or....
2516502.jpeg

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I just put out straight salt also, usually the pelleted instead of the block just so I can do it a few places with one bag. Curious, do you just throw this block out, cover it up, break it or how do you go bout doing it?
I use multiple blocks, if it’s on a hill I put it in a low spot where a tree rotted or else they will knock it down the hill into a ditch. The loose salt works great but after a few years you’ll have a dead spot in a hole 15’ across.

19C89302-26B9-40FD-ACDE-7511DD69A069.jpeg

Fortunately this was a natural salt lick I just juice up occasionally.

rockhousehunter

12 pointer
Oct 18, 2013
West Liberty, Ky
I use multiple blocks, if it’s on a hill I put it in a low spot where a tree rotted or else they will knock it down the hill into a ditch. The loose salt works great but after a few years you’ll have a dead spot in a hole 15’ across.

View attachment 100557
Fortunately this was a natural salt lick I just juice up occasionally.
Man, looks like a crater lol. I like that picture. So, I guess you put your blocks in different locations each time so they don't do the same thing to them (make the huge hole)?

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
Man, looks like a crater lol. I like that picture. So, I guess you put your blocks in different locations each time so they don't do the same thing to them (make the huge hole)?
If it’s in the woods and no danger of washing out farm land I reuse the same spot, they tend to bed close to those areas better. Or like this ridiculous meteor crater that has been there longer than the farm has been in the family. Predating my father.

You can do a year to year pop up site if you start early. More than 1 year though and you got a hole.

Strut 'N' Buck

10 pointer
Apr 16, 2011
Shepherdsville, KY
To start one, I take a shovel and dig just a few inches down and about a 18”x18” square. Sit salt/mineral in area. After that, once I go back to freshen them up, I’ll just sit the block in same area. Typically by that time they’ve started digging at it and there will be a little hole there and I’ll just throw the blocks right in it. Reload them every 3 months. I throw a salt block and lucky buck in mine.

EasyE

Spike
Nov 5, 2020
Breckinridge Co
ADM Rack Plus 13% calcium,6% phosphorus, 12% salt. Started putting it out Feb 21’ and they started eating it immediately. I put it on a stump that’s hollowed out like a bowl. I use the ADM during the winter, then switch to Real world Maximizer during spring green up it has a higher salt %. I’ve tried EVERYTHING over the years and never had anything touch it except during spring and summer. By far the best stuff I’ve ever used. Good luck finding the ADM they only sell it by the pallet. I have a friend that buys 2 pallets a year and I get it from him.

Latest posts