Where is the sport headed?

standsitten

8 pointer
Mar 20, 2011
I wasn’t going to post this on here but the more I thought about it I believe I will. This is a Facebook post that I posted the day my daughter killed her deer this year. I remember hunting with my dad when I was just a kid and if you even seen a deer, it was an accomplishment see post below and I think it would explain. Good luck to all you!

My daughter was so excited today when she shot her deer! The first thing she did when she seen it was start apologizing for it not being bigger. I told her don’t ever apologize to anyone for something your proud of or accomplishments, exspecialy if you we’re excited! This made me litterly fighting mad. With this being said, what are we as hunters doing to this sport? For the record I will never apologize for any deer I take. I will quit hunting before I do. There are enough red tape policies in everything else! When I step in the woods or my daughter does, I have no boss. And will not except one either! Nothing wrong with it if you live by the measurements set by the FAKE deer hunting shows etc. which are mostly paid hunts by ourselves through their products. I heard that the number of hunters is declining. Well, no wonder. We need to remember what hunting is and get back to the enjoyment and fun of what has been passed down. Believe me the day might come when your just thrilled to be out there. This mentality will be the death of this sport. Like I said I’ll quit first. All the so called professionals who want to be that way fine. But ”Don’t tread on me”! And before some says something, she took her orange off for the pic.
AFFC032F-5A1B-4F0F-89FA-760BE2E4281A.jpeg

Tankt

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2019
Kentucky
The sport of hunting is headed for oblivion. Cost to buy land is beyond many, same for the cost of leasing. It will only get worse as time progresses and available land continues to shrink. I believe this to be undebatable. The only question is how long will it take

Horn hunting Made it worse

Last edited:

xbokilla

12 pointer
Jun 28, 2012
Well you have people on here (and I’m not knocking it so settle down) who wouldn’t think of shooting a buck unless it’s 150+ and wouldn’t shoot a doe unless they were just starving so…why wouldn’t she apologize? The kids I know in HS that hunt are already big buck or bust or “I saw 25 does but I’m not gonna shoot a doe right now in case a buck is around” so there you go. It’s where we’re at. Had a lady act like I was the devil a few years ago when I told her I shot a doe. A lady hunter at that. I killed a nice for me buck a few years ago and a kid at school asked to see a picture and the first words out of his mouth were “he’s nice but he’s just not a mature buck”.

kyduck1

8 pointer
Apr 9, 2012
Well, I'll say first that I'm happy for your daughter in harvesting the deer and glad you all had a good time and enjoy the sport.
My opinion however is that you are part of the problem, as many others are. I remembered seeing your earlier post about her and her deer. Your first comment was "it's not her biggest" and yet here you are complaining about others and the way hunting is. It's become the most quoted line in a social media hunting post and it's appalling and degrading to the animal and sport. Comments like that drive the youth in our sport to think the way they do.
Secondly what I find interesting is the amount of people what are "only shooting 150 or bigger" and end up shooting the first 3 yr old that pops out yet complain that they have no big deer or blame everyone else for the poor amount of trophy animals around.
There are many things about the sport that are changing and have changed. I personally don't think that hunting for a true trophy buck and management is a negative. You don't have to be a tv hunter to shoot quality animals like everyone thinks either. It takes management, genetics, hunting ability, and probably most of all restraint.
I wish the deer picture section would only allow a pic and absolutely no words. We would all be better off. Best wishes.

standsitten

8 pointer
Mar 20, 2011
T
Well, I'll say first that I'm happy for your daughter in harvesting the deer and glad you all had a good time and enjoy the sport.
My opinion however is that you are part of the problem, as many others are. I remembered seeing your earlier post about her and her deer. Your first comment was "it's not her biggest" and yet here you are complaining about others and the way hunting is. It's become the most quoted line in a social media hunting post and it's appalling and degrading to the animal and sport. Comments like that drive the youth in our sport to think the way they do.
Secondly what I find interesting is the amount of people what are "only shooting 150 or bigger" and end up shooting the first 3 yr old that pops out yet complain that they have no big deer or blame everyone else for the poor amount of trophy animals around.
There are many things about the sport that are changing and have changed. I personally don't think that hunting for a true trophy buck and management is a negative. You don't have to be a tv hunter to shoot quality animals like everyone thinks either. It takes management, genetics, hunting ability, and probably most of all restraint.
I wish the deer picture section would only allow a pic and absolutely no words. We would all be better off. Best wishes really
Well, number 1: you don’t know me so…… you don’t have the right to call me part of the problem. Number 2: your quick judgement is most definitely part of the problem. Number 3: Don’t be so quick to judge someones character! 4: I have been a youth pastor for years and youth are driven by a lot more than some so called professional deer hunters comment! 5: As far as hunting goes what’s wrong with encouraging someone. Enough said about this. Just a very sore subject with me. And if someone gets upset thats on their time.

Last edited:

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I like to kill big deer. I like to kill little deer. I like to just be in the woods with no deer. Be proud of her deer, her tag, her smile.

I think as fathers, husbands and outdoorsmen we all need to be advocates for the outdoors. I know there are ladies that hunt but this is from my perspective.

Any hunter that has an opportunity and doesn’t take a new hunter every year oughta give it up.

As a nod to our forefathers, I like to take a old junky rifle or slug gun and wear blue jeans and plaid and walk and stalk or sit under a tree and shake like a leaf over a doe at least once a season. As a matter a fact I did that today. My dad and I joked and cut up as we skinned out my little deer with our old case knives.

Outdoor_np

6 pointer
Nov 24, 2016
South Central Kentucky
Congrats to her! She looks happy in the photo and that’s what matters. A “trophy deer” is subjective. According to some I’ve never killed a “trophy buck.” I’ve killed everything from does to 140+ inch whitetail, but every deer I’ve taken was based on a decision I made prior to pulling the trigger or releasing an arrow.. I don’t hunt to make other people happy, I hunt to satisfy myself. Tell her to keep up the good work and I hope she kills many more 👍🏼

kyduck1

8 pointer
Apr 9, 2012
T

Well, number 1: you don’t know me so…… you don’t have the right to call me part of the problem. Number 2: your quick judgement is most definitely part of the problem. Number 3: Don’t be so quick to judge someones character! 4: I have been a youth pastor for years and youth are driven by a lot more than some so called professional deer hunters comment! 5: As far as hunting goes what’s wrong with encouraging someone. Enough said about this. Just a very sore subject with me. And if someone gets upset thats on their time.

I don't have to know you....stating facts off of your other post. Your "not the biggest" quote was all you had to say for me to know you're part of the problem. Not judging your character as much as your wording and presentation---I'm sure you're an all right person. Encouraging someone would be... I don't know maybe just post her pic and say "congrats to her and proud of you" and thats it?

standsitten

8 pointer
Mar 20, 2011
No
I don't have to know you....stating facts off of your other post. Your "not the biggest" quote was all you had to say for me to know you're part of the problem. Not judging your character as much as your wording and presentation---I'm sure you're an all right person. Encouraging someone would be... I don't know maybe just post her pic and say "congrats to her and proud of you" and thats it?
No hard feelings. Just can’t believe she started apologizing. May had to due with her last 2 deer which was in the 140s. One with a bow last year. I’m above and beyond proud of her. I told her it her heart was pounding she did the right thing.

Bowmostofthetime86

6 pointer
Apr 16, 2019
Pendleton county
I really hate the way hunting has been commercialized over the years. It is the driving force as to why most hunters have this trophy hunter mentality. Some of the best hunters I have been around had never taken a “trophy buck” to my knowledge.

It was about putting meat on the table and enjoying time afield. Horns held little value. And paying someone to shoulder mount a deer was a laughable suggestion. Just wasn’t important.

Now the trophy factor is at the forefront of why a lot of people are in the woods.
And a price tag has been added to every aspect of hunting.

standsitten

8 pointer
Mar 20, 2011
I really hate the way hunting has been commercialized over the years. It is the driving force as to why most hunters have this trophy hunter mentality. Some of the best hunters I have been around had never taken a “trophy buck” to my knowledge.

It was about putting meat on the table and enjoying time afield. Horns held little value. And paying someone to shoulder mount a deer was a laughable suggestion. Just wasn’t important.

Now the trophy factor is at the forefront of why a lot of people are in the woods.
And a price tag has been added to every aspect of hunting.
I agree. I took 4 this year with a bow and said I’m going back to the fun of it. Cameras even get on my nerves anymore