Where is the sport headed?

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
Long post warning. All great points brought up so far. I've been on a journey myself the last year about what I want to tag. Never have been a trophy hunter but killed some decent bucks. Last year I killed a decent 10 with some character, couple broken tines, first one with a crab claw, pics on cam, etc.

It was an awesome hunt and shot at 7 yards, everything was 100% great until I got the antlers home and did the normal skinning /cleaning the skull cap then put it in a pile of similar 2-3 yo antlers. That pile has grown over the years and every time I pick one up it brings back ALL of the excitement, adrenaline, and memories of that hunt. But it did kind of bother me that it was "just another one".

Bothered me all off season and decided this year I was going to get pickier this year. Not because of anyone here, or my hunting buddies or GD FB. Just for myself. I passed a couple on public that I'd have shot in a second and one that I'm kicking myself for... Game cams show me what are on our property so I know I have a chance at better bucks and a part of me even wishes to know what that 10 would look like this year. New mindset for me but I'm following it.

Not sure if I'll tag a buck or not this year and first time being ok with that. And a bit of excitement of what one might turn into next year. EHD usually wipes everything out before we ever get to this point. I can see the allure of finally tagging one of these bucks I've watched grow up, have shed of, and close encounters on. Maybe I'll get one like that for the wall, scratch the itch and go back to being less picky. Just where I'm at now.

Ataulbe1

12 pointer
Oct 27, 2017
Estill County
Long post warning. All great points brought up so far. I've been on a journey myself the last year about what I want to tag. Never have been a trophy hunter but killed some decent bucks. Last year I killed a decent 10 with some character, couple broken tines, first one with a crab claw, pics on cam, etc.

It was an awesome hunt and shot at 7 yards, everything was 100% great until I got the antlers home and did the normal skinning /cleaning the skull cap then put it in a pile of similar 2-3 yo antlers. That pile has grown over the years and every time I pick one up it brings back ALL of the excitement, adrenaline, and memories of that hunt. But it did kind of bother me that it was "just another one".

Bothered me all off season and decided this year I was going to get pickier this year. Not because of anyone here, or my hunting buddies or GD FB. Just for myself. I passed a couple on public that I'd have shot in a second and one that I'm kicking myself for... Game cams show me what are on our property so I know I have a chance at better bucks and a part of me even wishes to know what that 10 would look like this year. New mindset for me but I'm following it.

Not sure if I'll tag a buck or not this year and first time being ok with that. And a bit of excitement of what one might turn into next year. EHD usually wipes everything out before we ever get to this point. I can see the allure of finally tagging one of these bucks I've watched grow up, have shed of, and close encounters on. Maybe I'll get one like that for the wall, scratch the itch and go back to being less picky. Just where I'm at now.
Will also add the BEST post I've seen all year was a guy on Facebook that killed a 1.5 yo 6 point. He had it in the truck bed grinning ear to ear. No excuses, no note about a cull buck, first buck, ground shrinkage, "not my best", just a pic and proud hunter. Literally warmed my soul.

Hunting is as individual as it gets. I get amped up excited about any hunter killing anything from a fawn to a world record. Can't wrap my head around a different mindset. If so I think you're doing it wrong and missing out.

Bowmostofthetime86

6 pointer
Apr 16, 2019
Pendleton county

Nothing wrong with wanting to tag a big one. I think every hunter who buys a tag hopes to kill a giant. My self included. And you are doing it for all the right reasons. For your satisfaction and not to impress someone else.

I still hope to kill one giant. I have taken some nice bucks over the years. And I am proud and thankful for every one of them. But before before I kick off I would like to kill just one honest to goodness big one.

If it never happens I doubt I will feel any less satisfied with my time afield.

WildmanWilson

12 pointer
Dec 26, 2004
Western Ky.
Competition is everywhere. Just look at all the fishing tournaments. People are eat up with it. We have deer contest all over. We pit ourselves against what our buddies do. Some is in good fun but it can kill the fun if you let it.

My competition is me against a big old buck. It’s no fun for me to shoot a small one year old buck. They are common and really easy to kill. Early on any buck was the goal. It took me three years to get my first one. It’s a natural progression to want a bigger challenge. The challenge will come by taking a more rare animal or using a more challenging weapon maybe.

I never will belittle anyone for taking what makes them happy. I’ll admit the thing that’s frustrating to me is the ones saying they are only meat hunters take a one year old buck when they could take a big doe instead. Not trying to stir the pot.

Little FR

12 pointer
Nov 10, 2021
West Kentucky
I never will belittle anyone for taking what makes them happy. I’ll admit the thing that’s frustrating to me is the ones saying they are only meat hunters take a one year old buck when they could take a big doe instead. Not trying to stir the pot.
I’m with you 100%

Can’t eat the horns, no but if you need meat shoot a doe. If the buck made you happy when you pulled the trigger or sent the arrow, own it and go on.

The button buck shaming gets on my nerves though, it’s happened to me and will happen again. I have a friend that’s an experienced hunter, he killed 2 in a row with a bow one year. If he couldn’t tell at 15 yards I couldn’t have either. We both hated it but if you hunt and kill enough you’ll get fooled eventually.

Velvet ears

10 pointer
Nov 6, 2013
West KY
I get the most enjoyment just sitting in the woods watching. Don't get me wrong if a big mature buck comes by I am taking him down, but just watching all the deer and how they interact and trying to figure out their routine to me is the most fun of all. Besides, the real work starts when the deer drops. I leave the food supply harvesting to my son. I'm just there to relax and enjoy the day without having to listen to anyone. Yes, I usually eat my tags but it is by choice. I consider $35 a cheap admission fee for stress free therapy.

ManofManyStangs

8 pointer
May 4, 2009
I deleted Spacebook from my phone 2 years ago and miss it 0.

I think ppl hunt for different reasons and if your reason makes you happy than go for it. I usually hunt for horns but don't judge others for not doing so. My son has very limited time to hunt but loves deer meat, this year at opening light we had a 4 point in front of us and he wouldn't shoot it. 3 hours into sit 6 point walks out and he takes it. After it was all done he said he was nervous after the shot and I reflected back on how I use to get over killing anything. Never worry about keyboard warriors.

Capttrae

12 pointer
Apr 2, 2012
I get what y’all are saying. When I was running that lease up in Christian county back several years ago it got to the point where I hated to know deer season was even coming around, so I quit, I left Ky as much as I loved it up there, left my friends and the life I had created for me up there and moved back home, and slowed down my deer huntin by a long shot, quit running cams, didn’t plant food plots, hang stands nor anything else. Then one Sunday morning woke up early decided I’d go deer huntin, dug my clothes out, grabbed my rifle, found half a box of shells, got my turkey chair, went a sat down on a hill overlooking a clear cut, these 3 deer walk out, a 4pt and 2 slicks, that 4pt looked mighty tasty and it was coming on breakfast time anyway so I shot him and you know what it was fun, and I was right, deer heart and eggs for breakfast was extremely tasty. I decided right there I wouldn’t worry about horns anymore. Until this year, when I went to Canada, when that buck deer came in man I thought he was a stud, went on automatic and shot him. Then when I got up to him first words out of my mouth was oh f I can’t believe I shot this deer, I was ashamed of what I had killed, instead of being thankful. I still haven’t told a couple buddies about it because I can already hear the ridicule for shooting a 110” deer.

riverboss

12 pointer
Jan 26, 2009
northern ky
I get what y’all are saying. When I was running that lease up in Christian county back several years ago it got to the point where I hated to know deer season was even coming around, so I quit, I left Ky as much as I loved it up there, left my friends and the life I had created for me up there and moved back home, and slowed down my deer huntin by a long shot, quit running cams, didn’t plant food plots, hang stands nor anything else. Then one Sunday morning woke up early decided I’d go deer huntin, dug my clothes out, grabbed my rifle, found half a box of shells, got my turkey chair, went a sat down on a hill overlooking a clear cut, these 3 deer walk out, a 4pt and 2 slicks, that 4pt looked mighty tasty and it was coming on breakfast time anyway so I shot him and you know what it was fun, and I was right, deer heart and eggs for breakfast was extremely tasty. I decided right there I wouldn’t worry about horns anymore. Until this year, when I went to Canada, when that buck deer came in man I thought he was a stud, went on automatic and shot him. Then when I got up to him first words out of my mouth was oh f I can’t believe I shot this deer, I was ashamed of what I had killed, instead of being thankful. I still haven’t told a couple buddies about it because I can already hear the ridicule for shooting a 110” deer.
Sounds like you got excited so everything worked as it should!
You still did a hunt you wanted and killed a deer that's success in my eyes big or small it's life was worth something and you found out there's a fire inside you that you couldn't control and that's what it's all about!

1wildcatfan

12 pointer
Jan 2, 2009
raised n Bullitt Co.
Competition is everywhere. Just look at all the fishing tournaments. People are eat up with it. We have deer contest all over. We pit ourselves against what our buddies do. Some is in good fun but it can kill the fun if you let it.

My competition is me against a big old buck. It’s no fun for me to shoot a small one year old buck. They are common and really easy to kill. Early on any buck was the goal. It took me three years to get my first one. It’s a natural progression to want a bigger challenge. The challenge will come by taking a more rare animal or using a more challenging weapon maybe.

Well...... you brought it up and seems hypocritical cause you are judging hunters on what they shoot. So you're going to look down on me if I want to shoot a spike or 2 1/2 yr old 100" deer to fill the freezer? Why do/or should you care what anyone shoots, as look as bag limits are followed? What you shoot has no bearing on my hunt, and what I shoot will have no bearing on your hunt.

bigbonner

12 pointer
Aug 5, 2015
There is a difference in taking a deer. If hunters decide to take any deer they see and over kill, the area population will suffer and then they will start complaining that they have no deer to hunt.
Be sensible and take does if there are plenty.
Would you take a mature doe? I believe I would rather take a yearling doe. If I let the mature doe pass then she will more than likely produce more for next year while a yearling may take another year to breed.